This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Request a Sick Note:


My employer wants me to come to work. How do I respond when I don’t have a sick note?

Employees should take time off work if they’re ill.

By law, medical evidence is not required for the first 7 days of sickness (that is, employees can self-certify). After 7 days, it is for the employer to determine what evidence they require, if any, from the employee.

We continue to urge employers to respect the need to stay at home where they are following government advice to do so and to show flexibility in the evidence they require from employees.

If evidence is required to cover self-isolation or household isolation beyond the first 7 days of absence then employees can get an isolation note from NHS 111 online or from the NHS website.

First Sick Note

If you have been ill for 7 days or less you do not need to see a Doctor. You can fill out a self-certification for yourself and hand it to your employer.

Alternatively complete the online form here.

Fit Note

If your employer insists on a note from the doctor then we can provide you with a Fit Note. Your doctor is entitled to charge for a Fit Note when the illness has been for 7 days or less. Our fee for this is £20. However you may not need to see a doctor to receive a fit note.

Continuation Sick Note

If you need a continuation sick note please book an appointment with a GP or have a telephone consultation.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website